Header

Header

Friday, May 23, 2014

Where school meets style

Sarah, Saaji (of the O3 group) and I went to our practicum school on Saturday morning not to teach but to view the school's anniversary festivities. They were celebrating their 17th anniversary. We got prime seats right in front of a stage errected on the soccer court and were given at least 7 meals over the course of the four hours we were there. Bu Inna (left) is one of the teachers Saaji and I have taught with during practicum. She's the sweetest. 
We watched traditional dance from west javanese dancers then the school gave food bags to 94 poor families from the surrounding community. 


We were feasted with yellow rice (traditional birthday food) then saw a recycled fashion show. It was part of an art week going on. The students - high schoolers - made all of the dresses in the past week. We were so impressed.


On Sunday my cluster of 7 led an English camp at a nearby orphanage/school for poor students. We paired up and led three different stations that the students rotated between. I brought my blow-up clear globe with different greetings written on it in dry-erase marker and had them throw it around in a circle and use whatever greeting  their fingers touched to start their introduction. It was a smashing success I thought. 
We then practiced drawing and describing parts of the face.

We then played red light, green light and concluded the camp by passing around my globe and reviewing what we learned. I think it's one of the smartest things I brought.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think bringing the globe seemed like a very good idea! Those dresses are beautiful. They surpass a lot of the stuff that I've seen in college made for similar challenges. You look so beautiful in your long skirt! :P

    ReplyDelete