Header

Header

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Photo journal

A photo diary of a day in my life in Karawang - or actually two days.
 
Morning bath, during a morning power outage (this happens about once every two weeks, and only for half an hour usually, so not a big thing).
 
 
I came to one of my 11th grade classes early and got to watch them practicing a Sundanese dance. This was Sundanese class.

Playing a vocabulary memory game later with that class. I love documenting the successful games.

Watching sparrows building a nest in the teacher's lounge. I spend almost all of my time out of class in this room. Many teachers spend their free time and class time here too, so it's a cozy environment and there are frequently snacks.
 
Writing in my food diary with Bu Euis. We started this week; she to count her calories because she wants to cut back and me to see if I'm getting enough nutrition....yes vegetables and more fruit are sorely needed.
 
Playing a board game at English club with Bu Euis. Board games courtesy of the Regional English Language Office in Jakarta <3 <3
 
Went really far into the country with my male counterpart to spend an hour at his sister's wedding. I'm kind of wedding-ed-out at this end of my service but he tempted me with the free lunch buffet. Ended up chatting with his uncle, a former everything teacher (including English). He was one of those people who makes you happy you live in a small village where people generally never meet or get to practice their English with a native speaker. Very charming fellow and I liked connecting more with my other counterpart's family, who are all very nice. On the way back we passed a parade in honor of some kid's circumcision.
 
If I end class before 2 pm, as I did on Friday, I sometimes take a bus across the city to my host sister's office where they have really good wifi. It takes about 45 minutes if the driver doesn't decide to stop for a lengthy lunch/smoke break. I didn't take a picture of my sister's office but here's one of the road outside the angkot (that yellow mini-van pictured above) on the ride home.
 
Still on the way home, stopping at a gas station. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment