Header

Header

Friday, July 4, 2014

Reflections on the election and some other things

First things first. I have in my hands physical proof that objects from the outside world can, in fact, reach me. The address is my schools. I may also be able to receive things at my house. Will report back after further experimentation. Have also bought a pack of envelopes so can now send letters with exotic stamps. Yay!
It’s been July 4th for a whole 19 hours here already and I actually did end my day with fireworks. Granted, I’ve seen them every night since Ramadan began, but it still felt like I was smuggling a small tradition onto the rooftop of my house, from which I watched the small pinpricks of light dance in pretty patterns to the music of a young boy singing the evening prayer in a clear, undulating voice.
And speaking of important days in political history, the July 9th election (aka the first time in Indonesian history that power will be handed down from one elected official to another) is the hot topic of the moment.
Jokowi and Probowo’s faces have long since been staring determinedly off into the unforeseeable distance, as have the signs of a caricaturized voting card holding up its right pinkie stained with purple ink (how they show they've voted). I’ve been able to talk with my sister Syifa at great length about her opinions of the candidates as well as my co-teacher and know the general leanings of the rest of my family.
Humility is a word I hear used here a lot. It is possibly the one characteristic that people will comment on before physical appearance. My host mother is always saying, “You should to be humble.” Syifa (who is also my translator at many points in the conversation) said that this is one of the main reasons she thought many people liked presidential candidate Jokowi: because he appeared to be humble (it is her habit to speak in the plural when talking about national issues like politics or religion.)
She is yet undecided as to who she likes more and says she wants to do more research. My host parents are pro-Probowo so Syifa’s desire to make an informed decision shows her independent nature. She seems to bring up a lot more criticisms of Jokowi, namely that he is taking leave from his job as governor of Jakarta to campaign and would be giving that job up before he finished it if he won the presidency. She thinks this is irresponsible. However she does think that he is more humble than Probowo, and that seems to matter to her the most. My counterpart seems to think that Jokowi is the obvious progressive candidate and she believes that for that reason he will (or perhaps that translates to ‘should’) win.
Despite my sister’s logical approach to reaching a decision her opinions seem to change daily based upon her spiritual and/or superstitious feelings about the two candidates. Things such as a speaker having a heart attack right before a scheduled speech from Jokowi being a sign from Allah that he is not the best candidate. My co-teacher too said, “I believe that each of the candidates have a destiny that only god knows” which I took to mean that she believes whoever is chosen will have been God’s pick all along.
The Quran is, of course, my sister’s and everyone else’s measuring stick in this and all matters. Her decision-making process seemed much more involved than anyone I’ve ever met. To make her final decision in the next four days, she says she will have to balance logic, reason and her heart. This is an important formula from the heart of the Quran. There are four aspects of a person's character in the Quran that she will judge the candidates by: honesty, truthfulness (the ability to keep promises), intelligence, and willingness to educate others. Not surprisingly, she brought up the Mahabharata tv show that she and the rest of my family watch with religious fervor. When I first saw them watching it I found it odd – perhaps out of my own religious ignorance – that they would subscribe so thoroughly to depictions of a Hindu text, but Syifa broke it down for me. They like it so much because it teaches the same things about character as the Quran.
The fact that Arjuna (far right) is “soooooooooooooooooo handsome *giggle*” doesn’t hurt either. And it’s a little higher quality than the overly-dramatic soap operas (called “cinemas”) that they watch all the time; maybe still as dramatic, but at least over issues like free will and dharma, and with lots of sea punk-worthy CGI.
Anyway, we shall soon see who Indonesia chooses to make the important decisions for the next five years.
Also, I will talk about Ramadan in a future post but for now, here's a little cultural exchange: http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/starve-wars


No comments:

Post a Comment