Header

Header

Friday, March 28, 2014

Rice, rice and more rice

In two weeks I've:
- mastered the Indonesian toilet aka the mandi aka the squatty potty due to various digestive challenges 
- reverted back to 1st grade when you are told what to do with every minute of every day
- come to see chocolate in a whole new light 
- bonded with 64 strangers in a way that only people sharing the experience of moving to a foreign land can bond
- started to miss the little things but nothing very meaningful yet because I haven't fully acknowledged that I have indeed joined the Peace Corps halfway around the world 
- adopted a new sleep schedule (8:30 pm - 4 am) that is strictly enforced by the call to prayer and roosters
- had many wifi withdrawals
- come to appreciate both Indonesian and Peace Corps humor A LOT 
- felt really tall 
- seen a lot of pretty mountains

Generally, the day to day schedule is pretty tiring and at this point I would kill for a book or movie that has nothing to do with TEFL or Indonesia. I guess I should have prepared a little more on that front... But the constant stimuli of this new life, while overwhelming, is also exhilerating. 
Weird large fruit houses at this carnival in Batu that I visited with another volunteer's family.

Thinking too long about the US and my Athens loved ones throws me into a loop so I try to avoid thinking about it while Im still adjusting. 

I admire how the eastern toilet has eliminated toilet paper from the process but I and a lot of other volunteers have made "mandi kits" so as to keep dry and clean. 
Note: sit-down toilets are few and far between

Our group!

One of 204848393 mosques I walk by on my way to our afternoon informational sessions with currently-serving volunteers

14 people on the angkok today and counting. Angkok is Indonesian for very small bus.

1 comment:

  1. What great pictures! It seems so beautiful there! I guess you're not the only one who thought ahead about adjusting to life without toilet paper. It seems like you're adjusting well. Can't wait for the next post! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete